Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chicken and Gravy over Rice


I borrowed this picture from Kelly at Kelly's recipes. I was shocked when I saw a similar recipe on her site, as no one I have ever talked has ever tried this dish before. Go check out her blog she has some great Southern Recipes. You can also tell we are both preachers kids and have been to a many church pot lucks in our lives, because we several of the same recipes.

Okay a little about this recipe. My friend Leya made this for dinner one evening, she said a friend had brought it to her when she had her first child and since then Leya always makes it for guests and gets requests for the recipe. As Angela and I began to eat it, we could not get enough of it - we had never had it before and could not figure out what gave this dish such amazing flavor. Angela and I followed in all the others who had had this dish an asked for the recipe. Leya emailed it to us it contained an item I had never heard of before - DRIED BEEF in a jar- what?? I went to the store and kept reminding myself that it tasted incredible and this stuff sitting on the shelf (tuna isle) was part of its yumminess. Overcome your fear and give Leya's recipe a try.

6 slices of bacon (or more if you prefer)
1 pkg. Hormel jarred dried beef
4 chicken breasts
16 oz. sour cream
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup

Pre-heat oven to 350. Cook bacon until crispy enough to crumble. Save a tablespoon of the bacon fat. While cooling, mix sour cream and soup well. Add bacon fat and bacon crumbles and mix well. Chop dried beef pretty fine. Layer the bottom of a casserole dish with beef. Lay chicken breast directly on top of dried beef. Cover with soup mixture. Bake @ 350 for about 1 1/2 hours.
Serve chicken over rice make sure to add extra "gravy"to the top of the chicken. Enjoy!

NOTES: You can make a low-fat version by skipping the bacon fat, using turkey bacon and low-fat or fat-free sour cream and soup. I always use brown rice. This dish can also be made ahead of time and it freezes great!

No comments: