Thursday, October 15, 2009

Taco Soup


I made this soup last week, it was so good. I found this recipe at my friend Meredith's blog called What's cooking. Check out her blog she has some great recipes. I am trying to put all the recipes I use in one place, so I am putting them here on my blog. I made a few changes - added a shallot instead of an onion, pureed both the tomatoes and the rotel until completly smooth, used 1 lb lean beef & 1 lb. turkey breast and had cilantro for a topping.

1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 large shallot, chopped
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes (I used diced)
1 can mild Rotel
1 package taco seasoning
1 package Orignal Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
2-3 cups water (I used 2 cups)

Toppings - light sour cream, red. fat sharp cheddar, avocado, baked tortilla chips and cilantro

Puree canned tomatoes and rotel in a food processor until smooth - set aside. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to a stock pot on med. high heat with shallot. Saute for two minutes, then add beef and turkey and brown. When almost browned add seasoning packets to the meat. Add beans, corn and water to stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheddar, sour cream, sliced avocado and cilantro.

No comments: