Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup

My friend Leya makes this soup and it is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Not low fat, but I am thinking about making it lower in fat by using light butter, fat free half & half - I hope it is just as good. Wonderful on a cold evening. Below the recipe is in Leya's exact words... love this girl!

1 box of wild, whole grain/long grain rice (I usually opt for the...I think it's West Indies? In a white box? The Garlic?)
1/2 stick (or 1/4 cup) of unsalted butter (Sometimes I'll add more just because!)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I buy the pre-chopped A LOT of the time)
5 fresh garlic cloves, chopped or minced
1 pound TOTAL of mushrooms (I usually do button and portobello), button leave whole, chop portobello
32 oz. of chicken, beef OR vegetable broth
1/4 cup dry sherry (NOT cooking Sherry - get the real stuff!!)
1 pint of heavy cream (or more ;-)
1 small fresh lemon
ground white pepper
kosher sea salt
cayenne pepper

In a measuring cup with handle, poor in 1/4 cup sherry, squeeze in both sides of lemon (preferably with a citrus press to get the most juice), add liberal amounts of the sea salt and pepper and then a few pinches of cayenne pepper. Whisk well with a fork or small whisk. Top off with a splash of broth and whisk well again. Allow to sit while continuing below.

Make rice according to box instructions and set aside while continuing below.

In a medium to large soup pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute until soft and transparent. Add all the mushrooms and cook about ten minutes or until entire mixture is a nice gold/brown color and fragrant.

Return the pan to low heat and slowly stir in broth. Then add sherry mixture stirring well. Simmer on medium-low heat for at least 10 minutes. Remove from heat and then add rice and mix well. Stir in heavy cream. Let simmer another 20 minutes stirring often. Garnish with chives if you wish after ladling into bowls. Serve warm with crusty french bread and goat cheese on the side.

** I try to make this soup a day ahead and keep it in the fridge. Then I'll heat it thoroughly before serving allowing it to simmer for a good while depending on if it's on the stove or in a crock pot (both work equally well). I think it is good no matter what but amazing after it's melded overnight!! I have even frozen it before to have on-hand. But make this soup your own. I have over the years!

No comments: