Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos

I saw this recipe two years ago at the blog A Chelsea Morning. For the new school year I am going to make these for a healthier breakfast option for Matthew & Connor, instead of Lean Pockets, which are filled with additives and preservatives. Barb makes 2 dozen giant burritos, so this recipe will go even further with smaller tortillas. I have made the recipe fit my family, to see the original recipe go to Barb's post, also on that post she has a recipe for make ahead dinner burritos.

3 dozen eggs
8 oz. light sour cream (Daisy)
1 pkg. breakfast sausage
1 pkg. turkey bacon
2 7-ounce cans Ortega diced green chiles (optional)
24 ounces 2% sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper
3 pkgs soft taco size low carb whole wheat tortillas (Mission carb balance)

Add light butter or cooking spray to your pan. I like my eggs very soft so I cook them on a med low heat. I crack my eggs directly into the pan without beating them first, add salt & pepper to taste - then add the sour cream in spoonfuls to the pan. I do not touch the eggs until there is a thin layer of cooked eggs on the bottom of the pan, then I break the yolks and mix the eggs well. I do not touch them very much after that - just a few stirs until they are set. The less you touch them the softer they will be - I learned to cook my eggs like this from my Papa Hill. Think of him everytime I make eggs.

Cook the sausage in a pan until browned, drain on a paper towel lined plate - set aside to cool. Cook the bacon in the microwave until crisp, once cooled crumble.

I separate the eggs into two bowls. In one bowl I add the sausage and in the other I add the bacon - this way we will have two kinds of burritos in the freezer.

Place the tortillas on your counter, just a couple at a time so they don't dry out and sprinkle Cheddar cheese down the middle. Place a couple of big spoonfuls of the egg mixture on top of cheese. Fold burrito, folding the short ends in first and wrapping the long ends around. I will add green chiles to a few that I will eat. :)

Wrap each burrito individually in aluminum foil and label, then freeze. These last a two months in the freezer. Barb says not to let them go longer than two months in the freezer because the eggs might go bad.

Here's how Barb prepares them when we're ready to eat them. Take the number I need out of the freezer the night before and let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, since they're already wrapped in aluminum foil, I just pop them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes until they're heated through. If they're not completely thawed, just heat them a little longer.

No comments: