Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lemon Cupcakes w/ Marscarpone Frosting

Dimples Cupcakes use to be my favorite local bakery. I loved the Lemon Delight cupcake, which is strange, because lemon is not my first choice when it comes to dessert. This cupcake is super moist and the lemon cuts the sweetness - I CRAVE this cupcake. Sadly, I no longer go to Dimples because of an article published in D Magazine that outed the bakery. They do not make their cupcakes from scratch and they are dishonest business owners, so can not longer in good conscience support their business.

When I saw Leigh Anne's recipe for the Perfect Lemon Cupcake I had to try it so I could get my cupcake fix. Here I have adapted the recipe a bit by adding a lemon mascarpone frosting. For an added touch, you could put a thin slice of lemon on top or a candied lemon slice. If you have not visited the blog Your Homebased Mom you are missing out. Leigh Anne has amazing recipes and entertaining ideas. She also has a whole blog dedicated to party planing ideas called Your Homebased Parties.

1 package lemon cake mix
1 C sour cream
3/4 C water
3/4 C oil
4 eggs
1 small package lemon instant pudding

Mix dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients. Mix with electric mixer on medium speed for about two minutes. Use a strong mixer, this batter is thick. For cupcakes, bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I was able to get 24 very full cupcakes from the recipe). Don’t over bake or the cake will be too dry! The toothpick test works to check to see if they’re done.

Frosting:
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons, plus more for garnish
Pinch of salt
2 cups mascarpone, at room temperature

In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and mix at low speed until the sugar is dissolved. Add the mascarpone and beat at low speed until creamy; do not overbeat.

1 comment:

Leah Belle said...

i enjoy following Leigh Ann too. she's a great resource for some good ideas.

i have a lemon mascarpone cake recipe that i love to make. have you seen it?

http://leahbellesrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/02/lemon-mascarpone-cake.html