Sunday, August 29, 2010

Caprese Salad

I mentioned David Rocco the other day - his show, David Rocco's Dolce Vita, on the Cooking Channel is so addictive for me. I keep them taped on the tivo so I can watch them over and over. His wife, Nina, their twin daughters and he live my dream - six months in Florence and six months in Canada (I'd live in the USA). This show is just as much a travel show as it is a cooking show. All things Italian make my heart smile, (except maybe their politics) so I love this show. Here is my adaptation of David's Insalata Caprese.

3 large tomatoes, 1/4-inch thick slices
1 pound fresh mozzarella, 1/4-inch thick slices
1 bunch fresh basil leaves
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt & Pepper (Kosher salt only)
2 - 3 Tbsp toasted Pine Nuts (optional)

Layer alternating slices of tomatoes and mozzarella, adding a basil leaf between each, on a large, shallow platter. Liberally drizzle the salad with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle Pine nuts on top of the salad before serving.

No comments: