Friday, November 6, 2009

Chicken Enchilada Casserole With Polenta

I made this for dinner last night so delicious!

1 cup cooked polenta (or 1/2 tube)
3 cup shredded cooked chicken
1 can corn, drained/rinsed
1 shallot, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (pureed)
1- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, from can
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cumin,
1 tsp garlic powder,
1 tsp chili powder,
dash salt
1 small can sliced black olives
2 cup red. fat mexi-blend shredded cheese
light sour cream
extra cilantro

Preheat oven to 350. Slice polenta into 1/2" slices. In large skillet, combine olive oil and butter and heat over medium heat. When butter melts, add half of the polenta slices; cook until well browned on one side, then turn and cook on second side. This should take 5-7 minutes total. Drain on paper towels. Line 13x9 baking dish with sliced/cooked polenta. Mix pureed tomatoes, chipotle peppers, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt - set aside. Layer in the following order: chicken, corn, black beans, shallot, & tomatoes mixture. Cover & bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with black olives and cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes uncovered or till cheese is melted & bubbly. Serve with extra cilantro and sour cream as toppings.

Side note: my polenta (leftovers that were frozen then thawed) did not get crispy in the pan and the slices just turned to mush. So I just put it in the casserole dish and hoped for the best. Jeremy and I both really liked it - reminded us of a cornbread bottom layer. We just ate it with baked doritos (for a crunch).

2 comments:

Main Street Mom said...

I love polenta! One of my favorite recipes is Shrimp and polenta...I need to post it to the blog next time I make it. Thanks for posting a comment today. My husband and I just enjoyed a big bowl of the pumpkin cake together. It is wonderful! Hope you and your family enjoyed it!

Kallen Johnstone said...

Mmmmmm this sounds particularly tasty!

Might try this one next time I get a chance! :D